Monday 24 September 2012



                                      23rd of September was our family's trip to Pompeii. It was very hot, but not too crowded, we road the bus from the Garibaldi train station straight to the Pompeii tourist spot. We got our tickets (which are good for a year so we can come back later) and went inside. There were pomegranate trees everywhere so we took one as a snack and ate it on the way. Pompeii ended up being a lot bigger than we thought it would be, but we explored as much as we could until our feet ached. The city was made up of many complex roads and houses, painted walls, drainage systems and even a spigot with drinkable water that still flowed through it. The Pompeians would often exercise, then chill out in a nice pool or hot tub. They made perfumes and incense that they would massage onto people's skin as a luxury. The rich Pompeians in the city would eat all day, throw up, and eat more to show how rich they were. They lived in large, sometimes two story houses with beautiful art and paint on the dining room walls, a fountain in the middle of the home with a whole in the ceiling right above it (my guess is that it was used to let light in the house, and just in case it rained, the rain would fall right into the fountain). The Pompeians city was beautiful itself, but the people that lived there were quite a disgusting people. I won't discuss all of the things that the Pompeians did, I'll leave the research to you. I was unable to find a web address all about the Pompeians customs, but to tell you the truth, I'm kind of glad. The thing that I miss that I was really looking forward to was the casts of the people trying to escape the city in the time of the eruption. Sadly, this area of the city was closed. Back in the time of the eruption, the people tried to flee from the ash and lava. Some escaped and made it to Herculaneum, where the eventually died of the poisonous gasses.

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous post. I love reading about all you learned. I can see a lot of european history in your future. Maybe art historian? You are on the road to some amazing adventures, and I feel so blessed to be able to "come" along with you. I think maybe some day we will travel together IRL! What do you think? I agree with you- good to not hear about all the grossness of the pompeians. Thanks for NOT sharing. LOL!

    ReplyDelete